Friday, September 2, 2011

Blueberry Applesauce Muffins

I seem to be into muffins of late. Another original I'm very happy with (and so's my hubs, who ordinarily doesn't like fruit things, he's a chocolaholic).

Blueberry Applesauce Muffins

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare muffin tins by lining with paper or oiling the cups. This recipe made about 15 muffins for me. Sift together dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside:

2 Cups flour (I use 1 cup whole wheat white and 1 cup unbleached white)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Whisk together wet ingredients very well in a small bowl:

2/3 Cup apple sauce
1/4 Cup melted coconut oil
1/2 Cup coconut milk
1/4 Cup water (less for all white flour, more for darker flours)
1 tsp lemon zest
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 Cup sugar

Gently fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients until everything is just moistened. Do not over mix. Then gently fold in:

1 to 1-1/2 Cups fresh or frozen blueberries

Pour batter into the muffin tins, then sprinkle the tops with sugar, or make crunchy tops as in previous recipe. Bake about 25 minutes, or until muffin tops bounce back when gently pressed. Allow to cool in pans for 10 minutes, then remove and allow to cool fully, or enjoy them warm and soft. :)

Happy muffins!
~Miriam

© 2012, Miriam Mason

2 comments:

  1. What kind of white flour do you use? I can't find anything without ferrous sulfate (iron), or other additives like malted barley flour that are bad.

    Can I assume that EVERY ingredient you use is ok? Or do you use small amounts of some things on the bad list like vanilla extract because small amounts are ok? (I consider it to be bad because it's from a bean).

    I have a sulfur intolerance, so your recipes are helpful to me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrea,

    I use Bob's Red Mill, mostly. It doesn't have extra ingredients. It is manufactured on equipment that produces soy, but unless you are actually *allergic* to soy (not just sulfur-sensitive), I do not think it will make a significant difference. As an example, I am definitely allergic to milk, have a violent reaction to it, which the equipment is shared on, and I have no ill reactions to this brand flour.

    My recipes stick to the list located at:
    http://www.livingnetwork.co.za/chelationnetwork/food/high-sulfur-sulphur-food-list/

    Vanilla beans are not included in that list (either high or low). That list is quite comprehensive, and I believe it would be on there if it were harmful.

    The only exception might be nutritional yeast, which converts to *glutamates* in the body and has not irritated my system. If you are sensitive to glutamates, please skip this ingredient and use a bit of salt or some bacon grease instead.

    I'm glad they are helpful to you. :) Very best,
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete