Thursday, January 19, 2012

Low Sulfur Chili a la Lyla

I have a wonderful friend who is a brilliant cook, and makes things taste amazing. Magic fantastic food fingers, she has. She has taken it upon herself to try some meals that I've been able to eat and that are very low (or no) sulfur.

She made this chili for my birthday party and it's completely impossible to tell there are no onions or garlic or beans in it. It is SO good. The thing about Lyla is she's not a measurement kind of cook. She throws things in and it all works beautifully. So I will try it and add measurements to it at my first opportunity in my copious (well... not) spare time, for those of you that don't feel comfortable with the "oops" method of cooking. :)

If you are adventurous, use your sense of smell and tastebuds and go for it! That's what I'm gonna do. The red wine can be optional if you are extremely sensitive, but there is so little overall, it didn't bother me in the slightest.


It was wonderful to taste chili again and have it be SO good, it was mouthwatering. Thank you, Lyla.

Cheers!
~Miriam

4 comments:

  1. I just thought people should know... I made this chili for a church party last night... and it won "Best Tasting" out of ten contesters. It is really good and pretty easy. I am curious about the cumin. I thought cumin was on the bad sulfur list? I still used it... and this chili won... so that is what matters, right?

    I threw it together the night before and let it sit in the refrigerator until morning. (I didn't brown the meat b/f as the recipe said that was optional). For measurements I used the lemon juice from a whole lemon; about 1 T of white wine vinegar; @1T Annie's dijon mustard; @2t dried dill; 1/4 t of each; basil, oregano, and 1/2 t rosemary; red wine and sugar as instructed; about 2 T cumin; 1 t of ea: cayenne, paprika, salt and pepper.

    In about the 10th hour I tasted it and added more cayenne, salt, pepper and brown sugar. Miriam is right. It is so good. Also, I think the red wine adds a lot, so if possible I wouldn't skip it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am so delighted you enjoyed the recipe so much, and yes, i generally end up adding more sugar as well. i also probably use more cumin, even, than that, but so glad it came out well just as you made it! ~lyla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoot, Tanya, that's awesome. :) Red wine can add some sulfur, but I've found overall, it doesn't add too much. For people exquisitely sensitive, they can skip it, of course. I'm so delighted you posted, thank you! I let Lyla know, too. :)

    Re the cumin, as of here: http://www.livingnetwork.co.za/chelationnetwork/food/high-sulfur-sulphur-food-list/ which is the list I follow, cumin is NOT on the list to avoid. I thought it was at one time, but it's not now. :) So use away.

    Best,
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome. Thank you! Both of you. This is terrific... about the cumin. I think my whole world just opened up. :)

    ReplyDelete